- Tremella (or silver ear mushroom) is an edible mushroom that has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for beauty/skincare purposes for thousands of years
- Although published research is limited, what is documented shows it supports many body systems, including immune function
- Bend Beauty GUT GLOW includes tremella mushroom
As leaders in the field of skin health and longevity, we like to share knowledge with our communities about trending new ingredients that could benefit your health + wellness journey.
What is tremella mushroom?
Enter tremella mushroom. Otherwise known as tremella fuciformis, or silver ear mushroom – it‘s an edible mushroom which has been used in Asian medicine practices for beauty and skincare purposes for thousands of years (1). In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), tremella is applied in various ways to benefit health and wellness (2). Get ready to hear more about it, as it’s recently been covered in Allure and InStyle magazines.
The hype is backed by science, although published research is still limited. In a review article published in 2021, tremella was referenced as being used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years “for its excellent traditional therapeutic effects on skincare, immune enhancement, and disease prevention (3).” Tremella’s medicinal properties are mostly attributed to the polysaccharide content that supports many of our body systems, including nervous, hormonal, and immune systems, and stimulates regulatory functions that help us adapt to various environmental and biological stresses (1,2).
Another study cites the use of tremella in replenishing fluids in the body; this hydrating effect is thought to support tremella’s beauty and skin health benefits (2).
While more research is needed to fully understand the benefits of ingesting tremella, one thing is for sure – this is a trend to keep your eyes on! You can trust that at Bend Beauty, we’re doing the work behind the scenes to vet up-and-coming ingredient trends that could be beneficial in supporting your skin health and wellness journey.
1. (n.d.). Tremella (bai mu er). Acupuncture Today. https://www.acupuncturetoday.com/herbcentral/tremella.php
2. Shahrajabian, M. Hesam & Sun, Wenli & Shen, Hong & Cheng, Qi. (2020). Chemical compounds and health benefits of Tremella, a valued mushroom as both cuisine and medicine in ancient China and modern era. Amazonian Journal of Plant Research. 4. 692-697. 10.26545/ajpr.2020.b00077x.
3. Ma X, Yang M, He Y, Zhai C, Li C. A review on the production, structure, bioactivities and applications of Tremella polysaccharides. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2021 Jan-Dec;35:20587384211000541. doi: 10.1177/20587384211000541. PMID: 33858263; PMCID: PMC8172338.